Individual Music Lessons
Individual lessons for woodwinds, brass, percussion, voice, and piano are offered on an individual basis for beginning to advanced students. Lessons are given year-round and students may start at any time during the year. Music theory basics and the development of technical and musical skills are included in lessons (as well as some fun!).
Students have the opportunity to sign up for weekly 30-minute, 45-minute, or 60- minute lessons. Recitals and performance classes are available to students throughout the year.
All lessons are taught on the UNI campus or through virtual instruction. Convenient parking is available, as well as waiting areas for students and families.
UNI CMS values the importance of the student/teacher relationship and it is our goal for students to remain with the same teacher throughout their study at CMS. However, periodic teacher reassignments may be necessary due to changes in teaching faculty and/or schedules. Continuing students receive first priority in re-enrollment and teacher assignments. Students may be placed on a waiting list if the requested teacher's studio does not have any openings or if all CMS studios are currently full.
Our Teaching Staff
- Each of our teachers are passionate about teaching and music. The teachers at the Community Music School (CMS) believe that music should be accessible to everyone and work their best to meet each student where they are on their own musical journey.
CMS teachers enjoy working with each of their students, regardless of what musical path a student is pursuing.
- CMS employs a combination of teachers who are considered professional performers and educators with a degree(s) in music, or have had multiple years of teaching experience, as well as student teachers who are currently pursuing a degree in music at the University of Northern Iowa School of Music.
- All CMS teachers have successfully passed a criminal background check and have been referred to the Community Music School.
Register for Summer Lessons!
Help a student pursue music at UNI CMS!
Become a giving partner by going here to our UNI Foundation page to make a gift to the programs within the UNI Community Music School.
Give the Gift of Music! - Donate Here (212456 or 222126)
The University of Northern Iowa Community Music School has been committed to providing high quality music education programs for the Cedar Valley community since 2006. UNI CMS continues to grow, by offering more music lessons, group classes, and performance groups to area students of all ages, and providing teaching opportunities for UNI School of Music students.
We are able to do this because of the support we have received from community members that share our mission of offering year-round opportunities to study music for Cedar Valley students of all ages and abilities.
Awards for private lessons are available to CMS students. Applications are accepted during the first semester of the academic year. To apply for financial assistance, complete the online lesson registration and financial aid application.
Awards are made based on the following considerations:
- Information submitted on the financial aid application form.
- Current account standing with CMS.
- Availability of scholarship funds.
- Student commitment, attendance and progress in lessons (for returning students)
Continuation of the award through the academic year is contingent upon:
- Regular attendance at lessons. More than two excused absences may result in the termination of assistance.
- Reasonable progress in lessons that reflects regular practice at home.
- Current CMS account standing and history of timely payments.
- Teacher evaluation at the end of first semester, assessing student commitment, attendance and progress in lessons.
Current awards are not automatically renewed each year and are not offered during the summer.